The Great Griot is one of my favorite Youtube channels. Our family has watched every video and the quality keeps getting better and better, but it is the material that is invaluable and always leaves us wanting to search for more after each short lesson.
Once again, I have learned more history in this show than I EVER learned in twelve years of formal school or home. Had it not been for my great professor, Dr. Lyn Lewis, I would throw college in there as well.
This short and terrific video is a great one to watch for President’s Day and to foster a discussion with your children.
Some other highlights:
- Have you ever been told to “Go back to Africa” (I have and it’s often preceded with, “If you don’t like it here…”)? Find out why that idea has already been tried, and why it didn’t work before. Trust me, the reason is the same why I did not work too well for Liberia and would not work now.
- Did you learn or teach your children, that Ole Honest Abe freed the slaves?
- What were his true feelings?
- Is America built on Christian values, the “superiority of the white race”, or both?
- Did the country’s founding fathers really view all men as equal? (If not, are you still quick to assume they are Christians?)
- For those with multi-ethnic children (or as they say, “mixed-kids”), what did one of “our” greatest presidents really think about you and your offspring?
Lastly, do you see the comparison between President Barack Obama and Abraham Lincoln in a different light? If so or if not, I’d love to hear why in the comments below.